- 6 Things You Should Know About Napoleon
- Scientists Spot an Earth-Size Planet 500 Light-Years Away
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Queen Elizabeth II
- 8 Things You Didn't Know About Catherine the Great
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Eiffel Tower
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Charlie Chaplin
- Forum Excavations Reveal Rome’s Advanced Age
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
William Shakespeare born, 1564
According to tradition, the great English dramatist and poet William Shakespeare is born in Stratford-on-Avon on April 23, 1564. It is impossible to be certain …
As the United States experiences its worst dry spell in 50 years, explore 10 surprising facts about its most epic drought disaster—the Dust Bowl.
Agriculture spread as farming groups moved northward from the Near East and throughout Europe, researchers have found.
Mexican and British researchers have uncovered a possible reason for the mysterious collapse of one of the Western Hemisphere’s most advanced civilizations.
The earliest farmers planted grains in order to brew beer for politically expedient feasts, according to a new study.
The shift from a hunter-gatherer to agriculture-based lifestyle might be responsible for some dental problems, research suggests.