- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Eiffel Tower opens, 1889
On March 31, 1889, the Eiffel Tower is dedicated in Paris in a ceremony presided over by Gustave Eiffel, the tower’s designer, and attended by French Prime Mini…
Thylacines were wiped out by hunters who thought they massacred sheep, but a new study suggests the quirky carnivores didn’t have it in them.
In honor of International Assistance Dog Week, we examine the history of canine companions’ role in helping people overcome disabilities.
From sharks bigger than a bus to giant sea scorpions, explore some of the largest and most fearsome marine creatures of the past.
When an earth-shattering event triggered mass extinctions 65 million years ago, some turtles weren’t even shell-shocked, a new study suggests.
A newly discovered species of supersized ants roamed Wyoming some 50 million years ago, according to a study published May 4.
A newly discovered fossil of an early mammal offers proof for the widely held belief that mammalian ears evolved from reptilian jaws.
Zhuchengtyrannus magnus, one of the largest theropod dinosaurs in history and Tyrannosaurus rex’s long-lost relative, has been identified in China.
Many American cities are plagued by the worldwide resurgence of bed bugs, pesky critters with a history that dates back to ancient times.