- 5 Things You May Not Know About the Pilgrims
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Abraham Lincoln
- 9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Christopher Columbus
- A Calamity at Sea, 70 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Marie Antoinette
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation
- 5 Facts About Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
John Lennon shot, 1980
John Lennon, a former member of the Beatles, the rock group that transformed popular music in the 1960s, is shot and killed by an obsessed fan in New York City.…
Get the story behind Death Valley’s record-breaking heat wave.
On what would have been the publisher’s 150th birthday, here are eight things you should know about William Randolph Hearst.
On the 50th anniversary of the closing of America’s most infamous prison, explore 10 surprising facts about Alcatraz.
On the 165th anniversary of the discovery at Sutter’s Mill, check out 8 facts you may not know about the California Gold Rush.
A burglar who struck the Oakland Museum this week is the latest thief to target artifacts relating to California’s historic Gold Rush.
Find out about David Talbot’s new book, which focuses on San Francisco between 1967 and 1982, and enter for a chance to win a copy.
As San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge celebrates its 75th birthday, explore six surprising facts about this modern marvel of engineering.
Film studios Universal and Paramount started 100 years ago as insurgent “indies” challenging Thomas Edison’s powerful cartel.