- The Lincoln Memorial’s Bizarre Rejected Designs
- Magna Carta Worth $15 Million Found in Archived Scrapbook
- Oldest Surviving USS Arizona Crewman Dies at 100
- Mandela Becomes a Free Man, 25 Years Ago
- 6 Surprising Facts About St. Valentine
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years Coming to Iceland
- The Battle of Iwo Jima Begins, 70 Years Ago
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1827, a group of masked and costumed students dance through the streets of New Orleans, Louisiana, marking the beginning of the city's famou…
Get the story behind Death Valley’s record-breaking heat wave.
On what would have been the publisher’s 150th birthday, here are eight things you should know about William Randolph Hearst.
On the 50th anniversary of the closing of America’s most infamous prison, explore 10 surprising facts about Alcatraz.
On the 165th anniversary of the discovery at Sutter’s Mill, check out 8 facts you may not know about the California Gold Rush.
A burglar who struck the Oakland Museum this week is the latest thief to target artifacts relating to California’s historic Gold Rush.
Find out about David Talbot’s new book, which focuses on San Francisco between 1967 and 1982, and enter for a chance to win a copy.
As San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge celebrates its 75th birthday, explore six surprising facts about this modern marvel of engineering.
Film studios Universal and Paramount started 100 years ago as insurgent “indies” challenging Thomas Edison’s powerful cartel.