- Baby Found Hidden in Coffin of Mummified Swedish Bishop
- 9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation
- 8 Things You Should Know About Checkpoint Charlie
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Queen Victoria
- Who was Stand Watie?
- Woman To Be Featured on Newly Redesigned $10 Bill, Treasury Announces
This Day in History
Bikini introduced, 1946
On July 5, 1946, French designer Louis Reard unveils a daring two-piece swimsuit at the Piscine Molitor, a popular swimming pool in Paris. Parisian showgirl Mic…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Get the story behind Death Valley’s record-breaking heat wave.
On what would have been the publisher’s 150th birthday, here are eight things you should know about William Randolph Hearst.
On the 50th anniversary of the closing of America’s most infamous prison, explore 10 surprising facts about Alcatraz.
On the 165th anniversary of the discovery at Sutter’s Mill, check out 8 facts you may not know about the California Gold Rush.
A burglar who struck the Oakland Museum this week is the latest thief to target artifacts relating to California’s historic Gold Rush.
Find out about David Talbot’s new book, which focuses on San Francisco between 1967 and 1982, and enter for a chance to win a copy.
As San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge celebrates its 75th birthday, explore six surprising facts about this modern marvel of engineering.
Film studios Universal and Paramount started 100 years ago as insurgent “indies” challenging Thomas Edison’s powerful cartel.