- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- The Warship of Peace That Fed Famine-Stricken Ireland
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Michelangelo
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Two months after the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement, the last U.S. combat troops leave South Vietnam as Hanoi frees the remaining American prisoners of …
Category: Civil Rights Movement
On the 50th anniversary of “Bloody Sunday,” look back at the assault on civil rights marchers in Selma, Alabama, that led to the Voting Rights Act.
On the eve of the 60th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education, take a look back at the landmark school desegregation ruling.
Fifty years ago this week, a bomb exploded at a predominantly black church in Birmingham, Alabama, killing four young girls and setting off nationwide soul-searching.
As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of this seminal civil rights event, check out some surprising facts about the March on Washington.
On the 50th anniversary of his death, explore the life and legacy of the civil rights pioneer.
On its 50th anniversary, take a look back at a seminal text of the Civil Rights Movement.
Explore 10 surprising facts about the civil rights leader.
On the 100th anniversary of the birth of Rosa Parks, explore 10 surprising facts about the civil rights activist.
Fred L. Shuttlesworth, the noted civil rights leader and co-founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, died Wednesday in Birmingham, Alabama.
Check out images of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial, which was unveiled this week on the National Mall.