- Iron Age Graves in Britain Yield Hybrid Animals and Human Sacrifice
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Ulysses S. Grant
- Disneyland’s Disastrous Opening Day, 60 Years Ago
- Chicago’s Deadliest Day, 100 Years Ago
- 8 Forgotten Capitals of the United States
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- The Original Wild West Showdown, 150 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
This Day in History
On this day in 1961, amusement park lovers “head for the thrills” as Six Flags Over Texas, the first park in the Six Flags chain, opens. Located on 212 acres in…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Category: Declaration of Independence
Two hundred forty years after a county in North Carolina supposedly announced its independence from Great Britain, take a look back at the murky history of 1775’s Mecklenburg Declaration.
A potential error in the official transcript of the Declaration of Independence may have led to a misunderstanding of the Founding Fathers’ intent.
As people across the United States celebrate the nation’s birthday, explore nine surprising facts about the founding document adopted on July 4, 1776.
British barristers and American attorneys debated whether the historic document amounted to treason.
Explore the history of the Declaration of Independence, which proclaimed America’s independence on July 4, 1776.