- The Lincoln Memorial’s Bizarre Rejected Designs
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- Magna Carta Worth $15 Million Found in Archived Scrapbook
- Oldest Surviving USS Arizona Crewman Dies at 100
- First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years Coming to Iceland
- The Battle of Iwo Jima Begins, 70 Years Ago
- Mandela Becomes a Free Man, 25 Years Ago
- CT Scan Reveals Mummified Monk Inside Ancient Buddha Statue
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1953, Cambridge University scientists James D. Watson and Frances H.C. Crick announce that they have determined the double-helix structure of DNA…
Category: Declaration of Independence
A potential error in the official transcript of the Declaration of Independence may have led to a misunderstanding of the Founding Fathers’ intent.
As people across the United States celebrate the nation’s birthday, explore nine surprising facts about the founding document adopted on July 4, 1776.
British barristers and American attorneys debated whether the historic document amounted to treason.
Explore the history of the Declaration of Independence, which proclaimed America’s independence on July 4, 1776.