- CT Scan Reveals Mummified Monk Inside Ancient Buddha Statue
- The Battle of Iwo Jima Begins, 70 Years Ago
- Ancient Mortuary That Boiled, Defleshed Corpses Unearthed
- The Lincoln Memorial’s Bizarre Rejected Designs
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years Coming to Iceland
- Scientists Blame Gerbils (Not Rats) for the Black Death
- 7 Things You May Not Know About the Gutenberg Bible
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
New research into Amelia Earhart’s 1937 disappearance yields a breakthrough with the positive identification of a piece of the famed aviator’s plane.
The recently discovered wreck of one of the ships from Sir John Franklin’s lost 1845 mission to the Arctic may be the key to a centuries-old mystery.
As the search for a missing Malaysian airliner continues, look back at six other times when passenger flights mysteriously vanished over water.
In the search for one of the most famous missing planes in history, all signs point to a tiny, remote island off the coast of Newfoundland.
Police searched outside a Michigan home today for the remains of labor leader Jimmy Hoffa, who vanished more than 37 years ago.
Explore famously doomed expeditions, including John Franklin’s Arctic voyage, which researchers recently attempted to demystify.
As historians claim that Butch Cassidy lived to a ripe old age, find out about other historical figures rumored to have survived long after their supposed deaths.
From Jimmy Hoffa to the settlers of the doomed Lost Colony, these chillingly inexplicable disappearances continue to befuddle scholars and pique the public’s curiosity.