- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- The Warship of Peace That Fed Famine-Stricken Ireland
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Michelangelo
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Two months after the signing of the Vietnam peace agreement, the last U.S. combat troops leave South Vietnam as Hanoi frees the remaining American prisoners of …
New research into Amelia Earhart’s 1937 disappearance yields a breakthrough with the positive identification of a piece of the famed aviator’s plane.
The recently discovered wreck of one of the ships from Sir John Franklin’s lost 1845 mission to the Arctic may be the key to a centuries-old mystery.
As the search for a missing Malaysian airliner continues, look back at six other times when passenger flights mysteriously vanished over water.
In the search for one of the most famous missing planes in history, all signs point to a tiny, remote island off the coast of Newfoundland.
Police searched outside a Michigan home today for the remains of labor leader Jimmy Hoffa, who vanished more than 37 years ago.
Explore famously doomed expeditions, including John Franklin’s Arctic voyage, which researchers recently attempted to demystify.
As historians claim that Butch Cassidy lived to a ripe old age, find out about other historical figures rumored to have survived long after their supposed deaths.
From Jimmy Hoffa to the settlers of the doomed Lost Colony, these chillingly inexplicable disappearances continue to befuddle scholars and pique the public’s curiosity.