- Researchers Identify Fragment of Amelia Earhart’s Plane
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Ellis Island
- 9 Things You May Not Know About William Tecumseh Sherman
- 151 Years Later, Gettysburg Hero Awarded Medal of Honor
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Berlin Wall
- Archaeologists Uncover 5,000-Year-Old Human Footprints in Denmark
- Lincoln’s Hard-Fought Civil War Re-Election, 150 Years Ago
- "Virtual Autopsy" of King Tut Paints Unflattering Picture
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On November 23, 1936, the first issue of the pictorial magazine Life is published, featuring a cover photo of the Fort Peck Dam by Margaret Bourke-White. Life a…
Category: French History
A Napoleon memorabilia auction this past weekend brought in $12.5 million and proved the enduring interest in the French emperor.
On Bastille Day, look back at the jailbreak that kick-started the French Revolution.
On the 200th anniversary of his first exile, discover six illuminating facts about the ostentatious French emperor.
On the 125th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower’s completion, explore 10 surprising facts about the Parisian icon.
An unpaid bakery debt launched the Pastry War between France and Mexico 175 years ago and ultimately cost General Santa Anna his leg.
On the 220th anniversary of Marie Antoinette’s execution, learn 10 surprising facts about the former queen of France.
As the world-famous museum turns 220 years old, here are some surprising facts about its long history.
Trace Napoleon’s route through Russia on the 200th anniversary of his disastrous invasion.