- The London Beer Flood, 200 Years Ago
- "Virtual Autopsy" of King Tut Paints Unflattering Picture
- The Cardiff Giant Fools the Nation, 145 Years Ago
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Emperor Claudius
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Herbert Hoover
- Archaeologists Unearth Giant Sphinx—in California
- Divers Excavate Greek Shipwreck Dubbed “Ancient Titanic”
- Massive Icebergs Once Reached Florida Coast
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Welles scares nation, 1938
Orson Welles causes a nationwide panic with his broadcast of "War of the Worlds"—a realistic radio dramatization of a Martian invasion of Earth. Orson…
Category: French History
On Bastille Day, look back at the jailbreak that kick-started the French Revolution.
On the 200th anniversary of his first exile, discover six illuminating facts about the ostentatious French emperor.
On the 125th anniversary of the Eiffel Tower’s completion, explore 10 surprising facts about the Parisian icon.
An unpaid bakery debt launched the Pastry War between France and Mexico 175 years ago and ultimately cost General Santa Anna his leg.
On the 220th anniversary of Marie Antoinette’s execution, learn 10 surprising facts about the former queen of France.
As the world-famous museum turns 220 years old, here are some surprising facts about its long history.
Trace Napoleon’s route through Russia on the 200th anniversary of his disastrous invasion.