- Iron Age Graves in Britain Yield Hybrid Animals and Human Sacrifice
- Disneyland’s Disastrous Opening Day, 60 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Ulysses S. Grant
- 8 Forgotten Capitals of the United States
- Chicago’s Deadliest Day, 100 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- The Original Wild West Showdown, 150 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
This Day in History
Jimmy Hoffa disappears, 1975
On July 31, 1975, James Riddle Hoffa, one of the most influential American labor leaders of the 20th century, disappears in Detroit, Michigan, never to be heard…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
A new cemetery in Russia will be the final resting place of 70,000 Wehrmacht soldiers killed on the Eastern Front.
Berlin’s triumphal arch has played witness to some of the most significant moments in modern history.
This week’s move marks the end of a financial arrangement meant to protect German interests at the height of the Cold War.
The ritual of the Olympic torch relay originated not in ancient Greece, but in Nazi Germany.