- What If the Moon Landing Had Failed?
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Bonnie and Clyde
- 9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence
- 8 Things You Didn't Know About Catherine the Great
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Samuel Colt
- The Real-Life Story Behind "Lone Survivor"
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Queen Elizabeth II
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signs Medicare, a health insurance program for elderly Americans, into law. At the bill-signing ceremony, which…
Category: Harry Truman
On the 65th anniversary of one of the greatest upsets in American politics, get the story on President Harry Truman’s unexpected re-election victory over Thomas Dewey.
As we commemorate its 68th anniversary, check out some surprising facts about how the world reacted to Victory in Europe.
As people around the globe celebrate World Handshake Day, explore eight of history’s most famous handshakes.
New letters reveal that Nixon was as eloquent an admirer as several other famously smitten presidents.
In honor of Presidents’ Day, here’s a look at some unusual ways the commanders-in-chief have spent their special day.
In July 1944, nine months before Franklin Roosevelt’s death, a doctor who had recently examined him wrote a memo warning that the president could not survive a fourth term in office.
In the wake of General Stanley McChrystal’s dismissal, comparisons have been made to Truman’s 1951 removal of Gen. MacArthur as commander of U.S. forces in Korea.