- The Strange Case of Emperor Norton I of the United States
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud
- The History Behind the Scottish Independence Vote
- British Files Reveal Secrets of WWII Spies, Traitors
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- The Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper, 80 Years Ago
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
USS commissioned, 1954
The USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, is commissioned by the U.S. Navy. The Nautilus was constructed under the direction of U.S. Navy Capt…
In honor of Flag Day this Thursday, discover how the Stars and Stripes came into existence.
Get the story behind the Cinco de Mayo holiday as the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Puebla approaches.
Before you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this weekend, get your facts straight by exploring common misconceptions about the holiday.
Your Valentine’s Day gift will inevitably pale in comparison to these legendary expressions of love.
Explore Groundhog Day’s shadowy history as well as interesting facts about the custom.
From the origins of “Auld Lang Syne” to traditional foods, find out more about the history of New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Find out about the history of fireworks, which will light up the skies across America this Independence Day.
This Father’s Day, we bring you five men who exemplify some of history’s finest parenting—along with five others you’ll be glad you never had to call Dad.
Celebrate 95 years of Flag Day with fun and surprising facts about the American flag and how to display it.
For better or for worse, these historic romances altered the course of history.