- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
- Scientists Discover Two Giant New Late-Triassic Creatures
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1700, English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other. Although the day, …
As we approach this weekend’s Kentucky Derby, explore the linguistic legacy of one of the world’s oldest sports.
As the iconic Chicago ballpark celebrates its 100th birthday this week, explore some facts about its colorful history, and that of four other iconic sports venues.
By analyzing a tiny fossil preserved in Yukon permafrost, scientists have been able to decode the genome of a horse that lived and died some 700,000 years ago.
Forty years after he entered the history books, check out some surprising facts about an American equine icon.
Seventy years ago, what many consider the last major cavalry charge took place in the Soviet Union.
As I’ll Have Another drops out of Saturday’s Belmont Stakes, it will be at least another year before a horse can finally win American racing’s ultimate prize.
A new DNA study suggests that different groups of people independently tamed horses starting 10,000 years ago.
Explore fascinating stories about the important military contributions of horses and other animals throughout history.
DNA challenges the theory that prehistoric artists depicted spotted horses before they even existed.