- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
- Scientists Discover Two Giant New Late-Triassic Creatures
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1700, English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other. Although the day, …
On the 200th anniversary of Samuel Colt’s birth, learn 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.