- Researchers Identify Fragment of Amelia Earhart’s Plane
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Ellis Island
- 9 Things You May Not Know About William Tecumseh Sherman
- 151 Years Later, Gettysburg Hero Awarded Medal of Honor
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Berlin Wall
- Archaeologists Uncover 5,000-Year-Old Human Footprints in Denmark
- Lincoln’s Hard-Fought Civil War Re-Election, 150 Years Ago
- "Virtual Autopsy" of King Tut Paints Unflattering Picture
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On November 23, 1936, the first issue of the pictorial magazine Life is published, featuring a cover photo of the Fort Peck Dam by Margaret Bourke-White. Life a…
On the 200th anniversary of Samuel Colt’s birth, learn 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.