- The Dutch Surrender New Netherland, 350 Years Ago
- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- The First Battle of the Marne, 100 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- Tomb Dating From the Time of Alexander the Great Found in Northern Greece
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Roosevelts
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1973, in a highly publicized "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match, top women's player Billie Jean King, 29, beats Bobby Riggs, 55, a…
On the 200th anniversary of Samuel Colt’s birth, learn 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.