- 8 Things You May Not Know About Augustus
- Tomb Dating From the Time of Alexander the Great Found in Northern Greece
- New Study Suggests Neanderthals and Humans Co-Existed for Millennia
- 7 Fascinating Facts About the Panama Canal
- The British Burn Washington, D.C., 200 Years Ago
- The Royal Diet of Richard III Revealed
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Bonnie and Clyde
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1864, Union Army General William Tecumseh Sherman lays siege to Atlanta, Georgia, a critical Confederate hub, shelling civilians and cutting off …
On the 200th anniversary of Samuel Colt’s birth, learn 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.