- Iron Age Graves in Britain Yield Hybrid Animals and Human Sacrifice
- Disneyland’s Disastrous Opening Day, 60 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Ulysses S. Grant
- 8 Forgotten Capitals of the United States
- Chicago’s Deadliest Day, 100 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- The Original Wild West Showdown, 150 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
This Day in History
Jimmy Hoffa disappears, 1975
On July 31, 1975, James Riddle Hoffa, one of the most influential American labor leaders of the 20th century, disappears in Detroit, Michigan, never to be heard…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Check out 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.