- The London Beer Flood, 200 Years Ago
- "Virtual Autopsy" of King Tut Paints Unflattering Picture
- Archaeologists Unearth Giant Sphinx—in California
- The Cardiff Giant Fools the Nation, 145 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Herbert Hoover
- The Charge of the Light Brigade, 160 Years Ago
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Emperor Claudius
- Researchers Identify Fragment of Amelia Earhart’s Plane
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1517, the priest and scholar Martin Luther approaches the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany, and nails a piece of paper to it cont…
On the 200th anniversary of Samuel Colt’s birth, learn 10 surprising facts about the gun manufacturer and industrialist.
The first car designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche—an electric vehicle from 1898—was recently uncovered in an Austrian garage after more than a century.
The wife of an automotive pioneer made history when she set out on the world’s first road trip.
As we celebrate the 175th anniversary of his landmark achievement, here are six things you may not know about the inventor of the telegraph.
Explore the life of Louis Daguerre, whose birthday is celebrated in today’s Google Doodle.