- 6 Things You Should Know About Napoleon
- Scientists Spot an Earth-Size Planet 500 Light-Years Away
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Queen Elizabeth II
- 8 Things You Didn't Know About Catherine the Great
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Eiffel Tower
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Charlie Chaplin
- Forum Excavations Reveal Rome’s Advanced Age
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
William Shakespeare born, 1564
According to tradition, the great English dramatist and poet William Shakespeare is born in Stratford-on-Avon on April 23, 1564. It is impossible to be certain …
Within the last four decades, young people in a remote village in northern Australia have created a new language and made it their native tongue.
Researchers may have traced hundreds of disparate languages to one Ice Age mother tongue.
Islamist rebels fleeing the arrival of French troops in Timbuktu set fire to a priceless cache of historic manuscripts, some dating as far back as the 12th century.
After being spoken for 3,000 years, Aramaic, the language of Jesus, could soon be extinct.