- 10 Things You May Not Know About Christopher Columbus
- Indonesian Cave Paintings May Be Among World’s Oldest Art
- Divers Excavate Greek Shipwreck Dubbed “Ancient Titanic”
- The Viking Explorer Who Beat Columbus to America
- Iconic Waldorf Astoria Hotel Changes Hands
- The Black Sox Baseball Scandal, 95 Years Ago
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Emperor Claudius
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On October 20, 1947, the notorious Red Scare kicks into high gear in Washington, as a Congressional committee begins investigating Communist influence in one of…
Category: Leonardo da Vinci
A previously unknown painting by Renaissance master Leonardo da Vinci may have been found in a Swiss bank vault.
The owners of a portrait known as the Isleworth Mona Lisa believe Leonardo da Vinci painted their version a decade before his iconic masterpiece.
A “Mona Lisa” replica at the Prado in Madrid was probably painted alongside the original by one of Leonardo da Vinci’s apprentices.
Find out about the 1911 Mona Lisa theft, which took place 100 years ago Sunday, and other sensational art capers.
Archaeologists are digging for the bones of the woman who may have sat for the “Mona Lisa.” Will facial reconstruction confirm her identity?