- The Strange Case of Emperor Norton I of the United States
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud
- British Files Reveal Secrets of WWII Spies, Traitors
- The History Behind the Scottish Independence Vote
- The Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper, 80 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- Amphipolis Tomb May Belong to Alexander the Great’s Mother
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1890, an act of Congress creates Yosemite National Park, home of such natural wonders as Half Dome and the giant sequoia trees. Environmental tra…
Category: Leonardo da Vinci
A previously unknown painting by Renaissance master Leonardo da Vinci may have been found in a Swiss bank vault.
The owners of a portrait known as the Isleworth Mona Lisa believe Leonardo da Vinci painted their version a decade before his iconic masterpiece.
A “Mona Lisa” replica at the Prado in Madrid was probably painted alongside the original by one of Leonardo da Vinci’s apprentices.
Find out about the 1911 Mona Lisa theft, which took place 100 years ago Sunday, and other sensational art capers.
Archaeologists are digging for the bones of the woman who may have sat for the “Mona Lisa.” Will facial reconstruction confirm her identity?