- New Study Reveals Source of Stonehenge Rocks
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Muhammad Ali
- Legendary Admiral’s WWII Diary To Be Released Online
- Mass Extinction Occurred Much Faster Than Previously Thought
- Scientists Confirm Crystal as Oldest Piece of Earth’s Crust
- The Hunley’s Daring Submarine Mission, 150 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- Scientists Probe Mystery Behind Chile’s Ancient Whale Graveyard
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Bayer patents aspirin, 1899
On this day in 1899, the Imperial Patent Office in Berlin registers Aspirin, the brand name for acetylsalicylic acid, on behalf of the German pharmaceutical com…
Category: Leonardo da Vinci
A previously unknown painting by Renaissance master Leonardo da Vinci may have been found in a Swiss bank vault.
The owners of a portrait known as the Isleworth Mona Lisa believe Leonardo da Vinci painted their version a decade before his iconic masterpiece.
A “Mona Lisa” replica at the Prado in Madrid was probably painted alongside the original by one of Leonardo da Vinci’s apprentices.
Find out about the 1911 Mona Lisa theft, which took place 100 years ago Sunday, and other sensational art capers.
Archaeologists are digging for the bones of the woman who may have sat for the “Mona Lisa.” Will facial reconstruction confirm her identity?