- Disneyland’s Disastrous Opening Day, 60 Years Ago
- Iron Age Graves in Britain Yield Hybrid Animals and Human Sacrifice
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Ulysses S. Grant
- 8 Forgotten Capitals of the United States
- Chicago’s Deadliest Day, 100 Years Ago
- The Original Wild West Showdown, 150 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
This Day in History
Jimmy Hoffa disappears, 1975
On July 31, 1975, James Riddle Hoffa, one of the most influential American labor leaders of the 20th century, disappears in Detroit, Michigan, never to be heard…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
According to a new book, centuries-old maps may reveal that Marco Polo sailed to the New World 200 years before Christopher Columbus.
A Belgian map collector has found what may be the oldest known globe to depict the New World, dating to the early 1500s and engraved on the shell of an ostrich egg.
A previously unknown copy of the map credited with popularizing the name “America” has turned up in a university library in Munich.