- The Truth About Poland’s “Vampire” Burials
- New Richard III Mystery Comes to Light
- 10 Things You May Not Know About George Armstrong Custer
- Time Capsule Buried by Paul Revere and Sam Adams Discovered in Boston
- Shackled Skeletons Unearthed at Roman Necropolis in France
- Researchers Identify Fragment of Amelia Earhart’s Plane
- Ability to Digest Alcohol Played Key Role in Human Evolution
- One of Shakespeare’s Rare First Folios Discovered in French Library
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
First airplane flies, 1903
Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville and Wilbur Wright make the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft. Orville p…
Researchers excavating the Maya settlement of Uxul, buried deep within the jungle, have uncovered the final resting place of a young prince.
Archaeologists at Xultún, a Maya site in Guatemala, have discovered walls with paintings and writing, including calculations related to the Maya calendar.
Mexican and British researchers have uncovered a possible reason for the mysterious collapse of one of the Western Hemisphere’s most advanced civilizations.
One of history’s most famous doomsday predictions might rely on a faulty translation of an ancient Mayan tablet.
Hammocks, which new research has shown to help people sleep more quickly and deeply, have a long and rich history that goes back 1,000 years.
This month, researchers are seeking a better understanding of Maya maritime trade by excavating an ancient port city on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Is priceless Mayan gold hiding in the depths of Guatemala’s Lake Izabal?
New research suggests that Mesoamerican pyramids like the Maya temple Kukulkan were designed to produce sophisticated acoustic effects, including the chirp of a sacred bird.