- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1700, English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other. Although the day, …
Category: Mona Lisa
As the world-famous museum turns 220 years old, here are some surprising facts about its long history.
Fifty years after one of history’s most famous art exhibits, find out how two enigmatic women—Jackie Kennedy and the Mona Lisa—came together to captivate the nation.
The owners of a portrait known as the Isleworth Mona Lisa believe Leonardo da Vinci painted their version a decade before his iconic masterpiece.
A “Mona Lisa” replica at the Prado in Madrid was probably painted alongside the original by one of Leonardo da Vinci’s apprentices.
Find out about the 1911 Mona Lisa theft, which took place 100 years ago Sunday, and other sensational art capers.
Archaeologists are digging for the bones of the woman who may have sat for the “Mona Lisa.” Will facial reconstruction confirm her identity?