- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1700, English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other. Although the day, …
A Napoleon memorabilia auction this past weekend brought in $12.5 million and proved the enduring interest in the French emperor.
On the 200th anniversary of his first exile, discover six illuminating facts about the ostentatious French emperor.
On the 210th anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase, take a look behind the scenes of the historic real-estate deal.
Seventy years ago, what many consider the last major cavalry charge took place in the Soviet Union.
Trace Napoleon’s route through Russia on the 200th anniversary of his disastrous invasion.
As a financial crisis destabilizes the European Union, explore past attempts to unify the continent.
As Egypt formally asks Germany to return the famous Nefertiti bust, find out about the other artifacts the country hopes to repatriate.