- The Lincoln Memorial’s Bizarre Rejected Designs
- Magna Carta Worth $15 Million Found in Archived Scrapbook
- Oldest Surviving USS Arizona Crewman Dies at 100
- Mandela Becomes a Free Man, 25 Years Ago
- 6 Surprising Facts About St. Valentine
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years Coming to Iceland
- The Battle of Iwo Jima Begins, 70 Years Ago
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1827, a group of masked and costumed students dance through the streets of New Orleans, Louisiana, marking the beginning of the city's famou…
Category: Nelson Mandela
On the 25th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s release from prison, learn how South Africa’s famous anti-apartheid campaigner finally became a free man.
As the world mourns the death of Nelson Mandela, take a look back at the “pop star’s welcome” he received upon first visiting the United States in 1990.
The South African activist and former president led the struggle against apartheid and became a global advocate for human rights.
As the world celebrates his 95th birthday, here’s a look back at the life and legacy of the man known to his fellow South Africans and the world as “Madiba.”