- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- The Dutch Surrender New Netherland, 350 Years Ago
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- The Strange Case of Emperor Norton I of the United States
- The History Behind the Scottish Independence Vote
- The First Battle of the Marne, 100 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Roosevelts
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1875, Billy the Kid is arrested for the first time after stealing a basket of laundry. He later broke out of jail and roamed the American West, e…
On the 80th anniversary of the 21st Amendment’s ratification, look back at America’s surprising reaction to the end of Prohibition.
During Prohibition, which took effect 93 years ago this week, many doctors boosted their practices by doling out medicinal alcohol.
After a century-long ban, France has legalized absinthe, a potion with a rich history that artists once prized for its supposed hallucinogenic effects.