- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Queen Victoria
- 7 Things You May Not Know About the Battle of Waterloo
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the War of 1812
- Baby Found Hidden in Coffin of Mummified Swedish Bishop
- 1,500 Years Later, Killer Animal Elevator Returns to Colosseum
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation
- 8 Things You Should Know About Checkpoint Charlie
This Day in History
At midnight on July 1, 1997, Hong Kong reverts back to Chinese rule in a ceremony attended by British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles of Wales, Chines…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Category: San Francisco
On the centennial of the 1915 World’s Fair in San Francisco, take a virtual tour through some of its most popular—and most unusual—attractions.
The so-called “Titanic of the Golden Gate” has laid covered in mud for over a century.
On the 155th anniversary of Joshua Norton crowning himself “Emperor of the United States,” learn more about the unusual life and “reign” of one of America’s most famous eccentrics.
On the 50th anniversary of the closing of America’s most infamous prison, explore 10 surprising facts about Alcatraz.