- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- The Warship of Peace That Fed Famine-Stricken Ireland
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Michelangelo
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
President Reagan shot, 1981
On March 30, 1981, President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by a deranged drifter named John Hinckley Jr. The president ha…
Category: Soviet Union
Recently declassified Cold War-era documents reveal how the Central Intelligence Agency used the epic novel “Dr. Zhivago” as a tool to undermine the Soviet Union.
On the 90th anniversary of Vladimir Lenin’s death, take a closer look at the world’s first communist head of state.
On the 25th anniversary of the launch of Buran, look back at the one and only flight of the Soviet version of the space shuttle.
On the 55th anniversary of Sputnik’s launch, explore seven of the Soviet Union’s firsts in the history of space exploration.