- Islamic Ring Found in 9th-Century Viking Grave
- WWII’s Largest Battleship Revealed After 70 Years Underwater
- History’s Biggest Art Heist Remains Unsolved, 25 Years Later
- Discovery of Oldest Human Fossil Fills Evolutionary Gap
- Vast Underground City Found in Turkey May Be One of the World’s Largest
- After 400 Years, Investigators Find Remains of Cervantes, Don Quixote’s Creator
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jesse Owens
- 10 Things You Should Know About the Appalachian Trail
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1700, English pranksters begin popularizing the annual tradition of April Fools’ Day by playing practical jokes on each other. Although the day, …
Look back 90 years ago at the humble origins of an American holiday tradition—the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The annual Thanksgiving ritual of granting presidential pardons to White House turkeys is not as hallowed as you may think.
On the 150th anniversary of Lincoln’s Thanksgiving Proclamation, get the full story behind one of America’s favorite holidays.
As America celebrates Thanksgiving, explore the real history of the Pilgrims’ purported landing place—Plymouth Rock.
Discover five things about the hosts of the first Thanksgiving that might come as a surprise.