- Iron Age Graves in Britain Yield Hybrid Animals and Human Sacrifice
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Ulysses S. Grant
- Chicago’s Deadliest Day, 100 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- The Original Wild West Showdown, 150 Years Ago
- Disneyland’s Disastrous Opening Day, 60 Years Ago
- Peru Plans First Contact with Isolated Amazonian Tribe
- The Day Dylan Went Electric
This Day in History
Iraq invades Kuwait, 1990
At about 2 a.m. local time, Iraqi forces invade Kuwait, Iraq’s tiny, oil-rich neighbor. Kuwait’s defense forces were rapidly overwhelmed, and those that were no…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Category: U.S. States
As the 225th anniversary of the first Census Day approaches, get the facts on this decennial population count.
On the 225th anniversary of the selection of Washington, D.C., as the future national capital, explore eight other locales that were once the seats of American power.
The U.S.-Canada border wasn’t always so peaceful. On Canada Day, look back at seven times when the United States clashed violently with its northern neighbor.
On the 150th anniversary of West Virginia’s admission to the Union, learn eight surprising facts about America’s 35th state.
Take a look behind the scenes of the historic real-estate deal.
Celebrate Texas Independence Day with a look at some of the state’s quirks.