- Indonesian Cave Paintings May Be Among World’s Oldest Art
- Divers Excavate Greek Shipwreck Dubbed “Ancient Titanic”
- The Black Sox Baseball Scandal, 95 Years Ago
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Christopher Columbus
- The Viking Explorer Who Beat Columbus to America
- 8 Things You May Not Know About Emperor Claudius
- Iconic Waldorf Astoria Hotel Changes Hands
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962
In a televised speech of extraordinary gravity, President John F. Kennedy announces that U.S. spy planes have discovered Soviet missile bases in Cuba. These mis…
Nancy Wake, who fled Australia to see the world at 16, ended up at the top of the Gestapo’s most-wanted list for her leading role in the French resistance.
Claude Choules, a resident of Australia who also served during World War II, died Thursday at 110.
Frank Buckles, America’s last surviving World War I veteran, has died at age 110.
Dick Winters, whose bravery and heroism during World War II were chronicled in the book and television series “Band of Brothers,” has died at 92.