- The Dutch Surrender New Netherland, 350 Years Ago
- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- The First Battle of the Marne, 100 Years Ago
- The History Behind the Scottish Independence Vote
- Tomb Dating From the Time of Alexander the Great Found in Northern Greece
- The Strange Case of Emperor Norton I of the United States
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1780, during the American Revolution, American General Benedict Arnold meets with British Major John Andre to discuss handing over West Point to …
A new study concludes that the heat from Antarctic volcanoes helped many plants and bugs survive past ice ages.
A team of researchers has discovered more information about what causes “supervolcanoes” to erupt, and their findings are unsettling.
Scientists in northern China are getting a rare glimpse into a prehistoric world, after discovering an ancient forest buried under a thick layer of volcanic ash near the Mongolian district of Wuda.