- 10 Things You May Not Know About Martin Luther King Jr.
- Contents of Boston Time Capsule Buried by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere Unveiled
- 10 Things You Should Know About Prohibition
- Searching for Genghis Khan
- Scientists Identify Scottish Fossil as Jurassic-Age “Marine Lizard”
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- 6 Myths About the Battle of New Orleans
- Two Tuskegee Airmen Die on Same Day in Los Angeles
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On January 27, 1888, the National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C., for "the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge." The 3…
Category: War of 1812
On the bicentennial of the Battle of New Orleans, learn the truth behind six common myths about the last major engagement of the War of 1812.
On the bicentennial of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” learn surprising facts about the national anthem and the man who wrote its lyrics.
As the War of 1812 neared its conclusion, British forces torched the White House, the Capitol and nearly every other public building in Washington.
Months before torching Washington, D.C., in the War of 1812, British forces burned Buffalo, New York, to the ground 200 years ago.
On the 200th anniversary of Tecumseh’s death, get the facts on the legendary Shawnee war chief.
“We have met the enemy and they are ours,” proclaimed Oliver Perry after defeating a British fleet on Lake Erie 200 years ago.
As 2012 comes to an end, explore some of the year’s stories, as covered by History in the Headlines.
Two hundred years ago, USS Constitution defeated HMS Guerriere and earned the nickname “Old Ironsides.”
The United States’ invasion of Canada 200 years ago went awry from the start.
On the 200th anniversary of the start of the War of 1812, explore 10 surprising facts about the conflict.