- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Queen Victoria
- Baby Found Hidden in Coffin of Mummified Swedish Bishop
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation
- 8 Things You Should Know About Checkpoint Charlie
- 7 Things You May Not Know About the Battle of Waterloo
- 1,500 Years Later, Killer Animal Elevator Returns to Colosseum
- Who was Stand Watie?
This Day in History
On the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg, Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s last attempt at breaking the Union line ends in disastrous failure, bringing t…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
A newly declassified document reveals how close the United States came to accidentally detonating a nuclear bomb on North Carolina in 1961.
Get a primer on the enigmatic nation and why it’s causing a global crisis.
Nearly 80 years after the bloody shootout that killed the notorious outlaws Bonnie and Clyde, their handguns are being put up for auction.
On the 65th anniversary of the creation of the Doomsday Clock, discover seven moments when the clock’s minute hand conveyed potential global destruction—or world peace.
Find out about the nuclear weapon that detonated in Albuquerque 55 years ago, as well as eight other “broken arrow” incidents over the decades.
After more than 50 years gathering intelligence 13 miles in the air, the high-altitude aircraft will be phased out by 2015.
Heavy armor may have been medieval knights’ worst enemy, according to new research.