- CT Scan Reveals Mummified Monk Inside Ancient Buddha Statue
- The Battle of Iwo Jima Begins, 70 Years Ago
- First Viking Temple in 1,000 Years Coming to Iceland
- The Lincoln Memorial’s Bizarre Rejected Designs
- The Real-Life Story Behind “American Sniper”
- The Miracle on Ice, 35 Years Ago
- 10 Top Draws of San Francisco’s 1915 World’s Fair
- Scientists Blame Gerbils (Not Rats) for the Black Death
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
A newly declassified document reveals how close the United States came to accidentally detonating a nuclear bomb on North Carolina in 1961.
Get a primer on the enigmatic nation and why it’s causing a global crisis.
Nearly 80 years after the bloody shootout that killed the notorious outlaws Bonnie and Clyde, their handguns are being put up for auction.
On the 65th anniversary of the creation of the Doomsday Clock, discover seven moments when the clock’s minute hand conveyed potential global destruction—or world peace.
Find out about the nuclear weapon that detonated in Albuquerque 55 years ago, as well as eight other “broken arrow” incidents over the decades.
After more than 50 years gathering intelligence 13 miles in the air, the high-altitude aircraft will be phased out by 2015.
Heavy armor may have been medieval knights’ worst enemy, according to new research.