- Baby Found Hidden in Coffin of Mummified Swedish Bishop
- 9 Things You May Not Know About the Declaration of Independence
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Queen Victoria
- 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation
- 8 Things You Should Know About Checkpoint Charlie
- 1,500 Years Later, Killer Animal Elevator Returns to Colosseum
- Who was Stand Watie?
This Day in History
Bikini introduced, 1946
On July 5, 1946, French designer Louis Reard unveils a daring two-piece swimsuit at the Piscine Molitor, a popular swimming pool in Paris. Parisian showgirl Mic…
More to Explore
Catch up on new discoveries, explore important anniversaries and get the history behind today's headlines.
Count your way through history with eye-opening lineups of events, figures, facts and more.
Myths debunked, truths revealed and your most burning history questions answered.
Explore food facts and get the story behind your favorite dishes.
Ninety-five years after he published his first book, learn 10 surprising facts about the glamorous and tragic life of one of the 20th century’s most celebrated writers.
A team of Spanish researchers believes it has found the long-lost remains of Miguel de Cervantes, author of “Don Quixote,” beneath a Madrid convent.
On the 150th anniversary of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s death, explore 10 surprising facts about the famed American novelist.
The Bank of England announced this week that an image of the beloved author Jane Austen will be printed on the back of Britain’s 10-pound note—replacing famed naturalist Charles Darwin.