- The Strange Case of Emperor Norton I of the United States
- The History Behind the Scottish Independence Vote
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Sigmund Freud
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- British Files Reveal Secrets of WWII Spies, Traitors
- The Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper, 80 Years Ago
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
USS commissioned, 1954
The USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, is commissioned by the U.S. Navy. The Nautilus was constructed under the direction of U.S. Navy Capt…
On the 150th anniversary of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s death, explore 10 surprising facts about the famed American novelist.
The Bank of England announced this week that an image of the beloved author Jane Austen will be printed on the back of Britain’s 10-pound note—replacing famed naturalist Charles Darwin.