- 6 Daring Double Agents
- 8 Reasons Why Rome Fell
- 8 Historical Figures with Unusual Work Habits
- 11 Things You May Not Know About Ancient Egypt
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Genghis Khan
- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Vikings
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Roman Gladiators
- 8 Reasons It Wasn’t Easy Being Spartan
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
Challenger explodes, 1986
At 11:38 a.m. EST, on January 28, 1986, the space shuttle Challenger lifts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, and Christa McAuliffe is on her way to becoming the…
Category: Cold War
While it’s certainly the most famous example, 1962’s Cuban Missile Crisis was not the only time the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union almost went “hot.”