On this day in 1941, the German army enters the Greek capital, signaling the end of Greek resistance. All mainland Greece and all the Greek Aegean islands except Crete are under German occupation by May 11. In fending off the Axis invaders, the Greeks suffer the loss of 15,700 men. Greece will not be liberated until 1944, by British troops from the Mediterranean theater.
Also on This Day
- Lead Story
- Universe is created, according to Kepler, 4977 B.C.
- American Revolution
- Parliament passes the Tea Act, 1773
- GM announces plans to phase out Pontiac, 2009
- Civil War
- Union soldiers die in steamship explosion, 1865
- Cold War
- Afghan president is overthrown and murdered, 1978
- Cunanan begins his killing spree, 1997
- Civil War vets are caught in steamboat explosion, 1865
- General Interest
- Magellan killed in the Philippines, 1521
- To the shores of Tripoli, 1805
- Tragedy on the Mississippi, 1865
- South Africa holds first multiracial elections, 1994
- D.A. announces negligence caused Brandon Lee’s death, 1993
- John Milton sells the copyright to Paradise Lost, 1667
- High school freshman Little Peggy March earns a #1 hit with "I Will Follow Him", 1963
- Old West
- Explorer Zebulon Pike dies, 1813
- President Grant is born, 1822
- Rocky Marciano retires as world heavyweight champion, 1956
- Vietnam War
- Humphrey announces his candidacy, 1968
- North Vietnamese attack outskirts of Quang Tri, 1972
- World War I
- British attempt to bargain with Turks over Kut, 1916
- World War II
- German forces enter Athens, 1941
German forces enter Athens
Fact Check We strive for accuracy and fairness. But if you see something that doesn't look right, contact us!
This Week in History, Apr 27 - May 3
- Apr 27, 1941
- German forces enter Athens
- Apr 28, 1945
- Mussolini is executed
- Apr 29, 1945
- Adolf and Eva marry
- Apr 29, 1946
- International Military Tribunal indicts Hideki
- Apr 30, 1945
- Adolf Hitler commits suicide in his underground bunker
- May 01, 1887
- Alan G. Cunningham, British liberator of Ethiopia, is born
- May 02, 1945
- German troops in Italy surrender to the Allies, while Berlin surrenders to Russia's Zhukov.
- May 03, 1942
- The Battle of the Coral Sea begins
What Happened on Your Birthday?Pick a Date
Read about notable birthdays and celebrity deaths at On This Day.
See the engineering achievements that stand as the stepping stones for modern civilization.
The only people to see the war like this were the ones who lived it. Until now…
The only people to see the war like this were the ones who lived it. Until now… Own this best-selling series today!