- The Dutch Surrender New Netherland, 350 Years Ago
- Has Jack the Ripper’s Identity Been Revealed?
- The First Battle of the Marne, 100 Years Ago
- Ship From Doomed Arctic Expedition Found After 170 Years
- 9 Things You May Not Know About “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- Tomb Dating From the Time of Alexander the Great Found in Northern Greece
- 9 Things You May Not Know About Lizzie Borden
- 10 Things You May Not Know About Bonnie and Clyde
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
On this day in 1973, in a highly publicized "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match, top women's player Billie Jean King, 29, beats Bobby Riggs, 55, a…
Category: Black History
70 years after the worst home front disaster of World War II, learn how an explosion at a California port sparked a Naval mutiny and led to an influential debate on civil rights.
Fifty years after he first won the heavyweight title, explore 10 surprising facts about boxing legend Muhammad Ali.
On the 95th anniversary of Jackie Robinson’s birth, explore little-known facts about the man who integrated baseball.
On the 175th anniversary of the escape of Frederick Douglass from slavery, look back at how the famed abolitionist became a free man.
On the 150th anniversary of the bloody battle that inspired the movie “Glory,” take a look back at the all-black 54th Massachusetts Regiment.
On the 100th anniversary of the birth of Rosa Parks, explore 10 surprising facts about the civil rights activist.
Find out more about the distinguished all-black unit portrayed in the new movie “Red Tails.”
Boston’s African Meeting House reopened last week after undergoing a meticulous restoration that returned the structure to its 19th-century appearance.
Check out images of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial, which was unveiled this week on the National Mall.