- 10 Things You May Not Know About the Vikings
- 6 Mysterious Disappearances in U.S. History
- 11 Things You May Not Know About Ancient Egypt
- 8 Reasons Why Rome Fell
- 8 Reasons It Wasn’t Easy Being Spartan
- 8 Ways Roads Helped Rome Rule the Ancient World
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare
- 10 Innovations That Built Ancient Rome
History.com on Facebook
More to Explore
Follow Eustace, Tom and Marty as they devote their lives to surviving off the grid, on their own terms.
Get the real story behind this famous World War II icon.
Explore 7 ways the battle changed the course of the Civil War.
Watch the exclusive web series.
This Day in History
William Shakespeare born, 1564
According to tradition, the great English dramatist and poet William Shakespeare is born in Stratford-on-Avon on April 23, 1564. It is impossible to be certain …
From high profile capers by the likes of Jesse James and Butch Cassidy to a raid by a gang of Indian political dissidents, find out more about six of history’s most audacious rail heists.
From the earliest steam locomotives to today’s high-speed “bullet trains,” here are eight things you may not know about the “iron horse.”